Music Camp on the Canal 2017: Start here.
Please Join us for our 6th Annual Music Camp
Music Camp is a weekend experience
Beginning with a Welcome reception & jam session on Friday evening, your weekend includes:
- a Saturday full of workshops (4 x 1.25 hrs each); lunch and supper included.
- a Saturday night All Star Concert featuring our faculty (primo seating for campers).....
- followed by a KitchenRackets jam session with campers and players from the community
- Sunday morning, one more workshop or Band Lab practice.
- Sunday luncheon, followed by the finale Band Lab Showcase (which could include you!).
There is more throughout the weekend: jam sessions, on-site luthier to help you with your instrument, close-up encounters with your instructors and fellow players from far and near; local artisans market, an instrument swap & sale, great food - remember 2 lunches and a supper are included.
Amazing selection of workshops - more than 50 to choose from.
Click here to see the complete list with descriptions.
Full weekend registration including everything is a bargain at $250. Participants with non-musical partners can bring them along for all the food and fun (and the square dance workshop) for just $130. Click here for our on line registration form.
A la carte workshops also available
If you would like to take just one or a few workshops you can sign up 'a la carte' and pay by the workshop at $40 each. You can pick your workshops and pay for them in advance on line. Click here for a la carte sign-up
All Star Concert
This annual concert has become recognized as one of the finest showcases of authentic traditional and innovative Celtic style music anywhere on Cape Breton Island, featuring our stellar Music Camp Faculty, sound by John Ellingbo and the hospitality of St. Peter's Lions Hall. Tickets can be purchased in advance on line. Click here for more Concert info and to purchase tickets.
Who should come?
Any amateur musician, at any level of accomplishment, who wants to learn some new stuff, close-up and 1 on 1 with some incredible teachers. We have a Celtic orientation with a world view. Also, you should come if you want to meet and play with like-minded musicians. We have an 'accompanist' program for partners who don't play an instrument. Campers are all ages from grade school students to senior citizens. (You don't have to camp, most people stay at the Inn or local hotel, although there is camping available - and we offer a 'home billet' program - more info TBA in the coming weeks).
Some other features of the Music Camp Weekend
- Artisans market on site including a used instrument swap and sale (you can bring your own surplus instruments if you want to sell);
- On site luthier offering minor repairs, adjustments and instrument assessments;
- Close-up encounters with your instructors and fellow players from far and near;
- Great food - lunches on Sat and Sun and Saturday evening supper are included. Catered by Bras d'Or Lakes Inn's talented chefs.
Music Camp is all about the people, so we are delighted to announce our faculty for Music Camp on the Canal, 2016 and hoping YOU will join us. Click here to see our faculty line-up for this year's Camp.